Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Forever the Dancing Queen

Professional Ballroom Dancer, Entertainer, Actress, Hostess, Cuisine Master, Wife, Mother, Grandmother, and Great Grandmother were just a few titles that my FABULOUS grandmother (aka Non) earned throughout her incredible life.


Non had the opportunity to see the world in a way that was unthinkable in the 1960's- upon a first class cruise ship known as the SS. Lurline. She and my grandfather were the Social Directors for many tours upon the Matson Line Ship and made a name for themselves as ballroom dancers- before Dancing with the Stars. Non's talent went beyond the dance floor and eventually landed her on stage with many appearances in various plays and musicals such as Auntie Mame and Anything Goes. At one point she was even scouted for a Broadway show in New York City! You can image the spunk, energy, and vigor my grandmother had for life; therefore, it is only fitting that she be just as fabulous off the stage and in her home life as well. Non was the quintessential hostess. Her parties were the talk of the town and anticipated for months. From the top notch cuisine to the elaborate dresses, my grandmother defined the art of entertaining.


After 89 years of memorable living, my Non peacefully passed away. In true Non fashion, she was honored with a superb luncheon celebration. I had the honor to complete the floral arrangements, placecard settings, menus, overall decor, and invitations. Just a little insight- she LOVED the color purple!


I consider myself lucky to have such a talented grandmother to look up to when I am pushing myself to new limits- what a great role model. I love you Non- forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment